You Might be a Commodity if….
Most of us remember Jeff Foxworthy’s famous routine “You might be a redneck if…”
- You think “loading the dishwasher” means getting your wife drunk.
- You ever cut your grass and found a car.
- You own a home that is mobile and 5 cars that aren’t.
Just a sample of his more memorable lines to jog your memory (and because I couldn’t resist).
Well, in sales, we have an affliction that is far less funny and much more tragic. When our customers think of us as a commodity they either can’t or don’t perceive the difference between us and our competition and/or they have ZERO recognition of the value of our product/service. I don’t know if there is a more deadly one two punch in sales.
So, in the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy here is a list of some of the most common and DANGEROUS signs of this affliction.
You might be a commodity if…
- After a lead generation campaign, when calling prospects, they don’t recognize your name or your company or worse when they hear your name you hear “UGH, oh Hi John…”
- If you try to set an appointment with a prospect and she says, “Tell you what call me back in a week and I’ll let you know what I want to do then.”
- After the initial discovery appointment the customer tells you thanks for your time and he’ll be in touch.
- During the presentation you ask your prospect what he likes best and he says “Good question” yet never answers you.
- You find yourself negotiating your price on 2 out of every 3 closing presentations.
- Before the presentation they told you they needed to make a decision by next week and now it is next month and you still have not been able to get them on the phone.
- After the presentation you attempt to schedule a next step meeting and your prospect says, “I think we have all the information we need.”
- Calling to schedule a next step meeting your prospect says “what was this about again?”
- You go to a networking function of 100+ people and you don’t come back with ANY actionable leads.
- The closest you get to an opportunity at a trade show is somebody who comes to your booth for the free candy and chotchkies.
We have a webinar coming up on Wednesday December 21st that will offer some cures to this deadly disease and in the meantime, check you and your team for these symptoms. If any of these have manifested themselves my prescription is to attend our webinar and call me in the morning.